Want to restore your youthful appearance?
The doctors at Pacifico Plastic Surgery’s offices in New Jersey, Brooklyn and Staten Island will help you determine if a facelift is right for you. We serve patients throughout New York and New Jersey.
A facelift, also referred to as rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure designed to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck area, including:
- Relaxation of the skin of the face leading to sagging
- Deepening of the fold lines existing between the nose and corner of one’s mouth
- Fat that has fallen or has disappeared from the face
- Loose skin and extra fat of the neck that can form the appearance of a double chin or “turkey neck”
The gradual loss of youthful contours in the face can be caused by a wide variety of factors, including gravity, sun damage, thinning of the skin, loss of facial fat and smoking, in addition to stress and heredity.
Other procedures that can be performed in combination with a facelift are eyelid surgery and browlift to rejuvenate the appearance of aging eyes. To replace the fatty volume that has been lost, our doctors might also suggest a fat transfer or filler. Skin treatments like IPL, peels, dermabrasion or laser might be recommended to restore the texture and overall quality of the skin.
What a facelift cannot do:
Considering how a facelift is a type of restorative surgery, it will not alter your fundamental appearance and can’t stop the aging process.
Since non-surgical rejuvenation treatments fail to bring forth the same results, a successful facelift can only be be achieved surgically. Other non-surgical treatments, like stem cell facelifts, have been proven to provide little to no benefit.
Think you’re a good candidate for facelift surgery?
An ideal facelift candidate expresses realistic expectations and is capable of following the pre- and post-operative instructions as described by their plastic surgeon. During a one-on-one consultation, the doctor can determine whether the patient’s goals can be achieved with this surgery, or if there’s another type of procedure that might be a better option.
The best candidates for facelift surgery in Brooklyn, Staten Island and the rest of New York and New Jersey share very important traits. The following is a list of factors that can help both the doctor and patient decide whether or not they’re a good candidate for this procedure:
- Strong bone structure. Normally, a facelift candidate will have a distinct bone structure to provide support and lead to fulfilling results. Patients with features that aren’t as defined, however, may benefit from facial implants in place of, or in addition to, a facelift.
- Skin elasticity. An ideal facelift candidate will normally have skin that has kept its natural flexibility and suppleness. This is crucial because the surgeons will tighten your facial skin during the procedure to smooth the appearance of wrinkles. To heal successfully with the best possible results, your skin must be able to adapt to its new, improved contours.
- Good overall health. It’s important for a facelift candidate to be a generally healthy person, and they should inform their surgeon about any pre-existing medical conditions far in advance. As an invasive procedure, facelifts require a significant amount of healing and recovery. This’s why it’s essential for patients to be physically prepared for the procedure.
- Realistic expectations. The candidate must understand what a facelift procedure can and cannot accomplish. During a consultation, the plastic surgeon will inform the patient about the details of the surgery to help them make the right decision moving forward.
- Loose skin on the face or neck. Facelift candidates usually want to take away excess skin from the face or neck, tightening skin and smoothing the appearance of wrinkles at the same time. The surgeon will trim loose skin during the surgery.
If you think you might be a good candidate for facelift surgery, schedule a consultation today to learn more!